Summer weight loss is a serious thing for many people. Not only do long cold winters keep people cooped up indoors in many different climates, but it also keeps them sluggish and feeding mindlessly while the exercise regiment rusts and then folds away completely. Summer is the most beautiful time of year, and who doesn’t want to look good and feel good while enjoying the bright sunlight and weather?
Whether you decide to follow a specific summer weight loss diet or not, there are several simple tips that will help you stay in control of your eating and either keep a good figure, or lose those extra pounds that were packed on during the winter months.
- Keep a food journal. Many people are surprised about how often they mindlessly snack once they start writing it down. Small snacks like two slices of cheese could pack almost 200 calories. Do that four or five times, and a small amount of mindless munching put on 1,000 calories a day.
- Don’t skip meals. This is the worst advice. Skipping meals means you burn LESS calories because your metabolism slows. Then you’re hungry so you eat more later when your body isn’t burning as many calories. Bad idea.
- Drink more water or tea. This keeps you a little more full, and will help keep you from grabbing for those high calorie and high sugar colas.
- Take some long walks. Exercise doesn’t always have to be stressful. Long leisurely walks can help to burn calories, cause you to relax, and are a great way to enjoy the summer weather, as well, even if you don’t have your ideal body yet to show off at the pool.
- Eat high fiber foods like fruits and veggies. High fiber foods fill you up with minimal calories and keep you regular. You should have high fiber foods at every meal to help you.
- Stay away from sugars and white starches. These two things add a lot of weight to people. Sugars should be obvious, but add in white pasta and potatoes and you have all the biggest offenders rounded up in one place.
- Make working out a habit. This is huge. It’s far easier to stay with a workout regiment when it is a consistent habit, done the same time every day or every other day. If you always work out at 7 a.m. then eventually your body will feel antsy if it’s 7 and you’re not working out. Just as bad habits can work against you, good habits can work for you. Take advantage of this.
There are many great pieces of advice you can follow for summer weight loss, and many times individuals don’t necessarily need individual diet plans, but only need to use some common sense and follow some basic guidelines to end up in the shape and weight area that they would be most comfortable in.
Follow these tips and you’re sure to lose some weight and be on your way to enjoying the next beautiful summer.